Wednesday, February 3, 2016

More finishing work

Hi folks.

I've added some new mounting hardware to the system.

I moved the IMU outside the box in a non-conductive/magnetically isolated sensor "pod".  The IMU was getting interference from all of the internal magnetic fields, and now looks good.  Heading behaves like it should.  This is the white PVC.

I purchased three SMA M-F extension cables, and routed the Wifi router antennas outside the controls enclosure.

I mounted the GPS antenna externally as well, with the external GPS cable.

I secured the batteries to the side of the battery enclosure, using two eyebolts and a ratcheting strap.  I added a rubber mat underneath the batteries to minimize slipping, and added a rubber mat to the lid, in case something heavy pushes it in while closed.

Finally, I added a couple more mounting bars to the chassis wheel frame, so that I can remove the top square frame, and keep the wheel frame hard mounted.  It's easier to remove the top square frame in order to open the two enclosure lids fully.

On a software note, I successfully utilized Codesys's command line access capability.  I made the Python script that decodes and displays the GPS data, and writes to the Pi's Codesys Modbus server the GPS latitude and longitude, using the Pymodbus library.  I then made the script executable, and ran the gpsd daemon process call and script call from inside Codesys.  This allows Codesys to run the Modbus server first, then run the two GPS programs.  Otherwise, running the script to early without the server running will terminate the script with an connection exception.  That is actually a big piece of the control scheme - it allows me to run any Linux code, and pass return arguments back into Codesys.

Here are some pictures...


Shows the new antenna mounts and IMU pod.

Router view. note the antenna extensions.

top view of power supplies

caster wheel view.  I will add the other bar when I get in the 45 brackets on order.  Then I can remount the top square - maybe with a hinge.

batteries and rubber lid mat. note the blue ratchet strap holding the batteries to the wall.

Another front view. note the two eyebolt nuts on the right enclosure.

Batteries.  Note the ratchet on the right side of the batteries.

Another lid view. Note the GPS cable the feeds through the top of the lid.  May end up moving the router inside somewhere on a wall if I need room.




No comments: