Saturday, February 6, 2016

Remote Pendant Idea and others

I've been playing around with my code for the Teensy/Huzzah/Codesys Pi system.

I can already see several uses for this exact setup.

One use, for me on the robot is a remote pendant.  This to me is a perfect fit, with just enough I/O and capability to give me a nice wireless controller for the robot with a serial display.

I had thought about a Pi as the pendant, but I was limited in the hardware IO for reading a quadrature encoder and analog inputs - I would have had to add another MCU like a Teensy or something anyway.

For about the cost of the Pi alone, I can have the whole assembly for under about $40.

I can see a lot of use for that as a pendant for any number of projects.

Another idea for this is a remote wireless encoder.  I can take a Teensy and a Huzzah with a quadrature encoder, and have wireless position feedback fairly easy.  Something like this, which is pretty much a similar idea: https://hackaday.io/project/8118-programmable-wifi-control-knob.  I think I can fit them in the end housing of the motor also..

I can see a ton of use for this.  Remote temp sensing, keypads, you name it.

End housing for motor.  Alternate motor mounting anyone?

No comments: